HOURS, DIRECTIONS, ADMISSION, and MAP
and Information for Visiting Cold Spring Harbor Village
Be sure to check our Events Page for fun happenings!
Address & Phone
The Whaling Museum is located at
301 Main Street
in Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724.
(Museum Offices: 279 Main Street)
The Museum is on Route 25A on the North Shore of Long Island, in Suffolk County's Cold Spring Harbor, which was a whaling port in the 19th Century. Find out about our exhibits here.
Our Museum office is located at 279 Main Street in the historic Wright House, next to the Museum). The office is generally open Monday-Friday, 10-5.
Please make an appointment when meeting with staff so we can set aside the best time to meet with you; call x10 during weekdays to get connected to the right staff member.
On Weekends, you can reach the front desk at ext. 14.
Your admission helps fund our education programs about art, science, culture, and history. Thank you.
New Year's, Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. We are open many other Holiday Mondays when school is out; call for our schedule.
The Museum is accessible to wheelchair users.
Those who are looking for a more quiet environment may want to consider visiting towards the end of the day (4-5 pm).
- There is normally plenty of unmetered street parking available for your car, right in front of the museum, which is located on a residential block.
- There is a free parking lot in Cold Spring Harbor Village on Route 25A (near the village shops and harbor - less than a pleasant 10 minute walk west of the museum); find it using this map.
- We are a 15 minute walk from Cold Spring Harbor park (a beautiful place to relax and have a picnic).
Take the LIE to exit 41N (Rt 106) or take the Northern State Pkwy to Exit 35N (Rt 106). Continue 4 miles north until 25A; this is a fast road with few lights. Turn right and head east 5.3 miles into the town of Cold Spring Harbor. After passing through the village, the museum will be on your left.
Take LIRR or Northern State to Route 135, and follow instructions below.
FROM SOUTH SHORE
Take the Southern State to Route 135, the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway North to exit 14E. Continue East on Jericho Turnpike (Rt 25) for 1.1 miles. After passing Stop & Shop on your left, turn left on Woodbury Rd for 1.8 miles. This is a winding road; follow signs to Cold Spring Harbor; after 1.7 miles, make a left onto Rt 108 (Harbor Road). Continue on Rt 108, a fast road with no lights, for 1.6 miles, which ends at red flashing light; make a slight left at the flashing light to bring you to merge with 25A. Turn right onto 25A; the harbor will be on your left. Continue east for 1 mile; after you pass the village shops, museum will be on left.
FROM EASTERN LONG ISLAND
Take the LIE to exit 49N (Rt 110N, which will become New York Avenue). Continue North for about 6.5 miles. Make a left on Rt 25A and continue west for 1.5 miles; museum will be on right. Note: While this is a direct route, Route 110 is full of street lights!
Take the Northern State to 42N, Road 35 (Park Avenue). Continue Northwest for about 5.2 miles. Turn left on Route 25A. Continue west for about 2.3 miles; museum will be on your right.
To take Road 35 from the LIE, we suggest to get onto the Northern (which has a closer exit to Road 35) by taking Exit 53 to the Sagtikos Parkway North, continuing north for a mile, and taking the SM1W exit for Northern Parkway West. If you prefer not to take the Northern, take LIE exit 51 toward Road 231/Northport; after exiting the ramp from the LIE, make a right by the stop sign, and continue North on Deer Park Avenue (which will become Park Avenue) for 7.2 miles. (Note: After the first two miles traveling north, bear left when road splits - follow sign to Road 35.) Turn left on Route 25A and continue west for about 2.3 miles; museum will be on your right.
Driving is the most convenient option, but here are some useful options using public transit:
Long Island Rail Road:
- Take the LIRR (on the Port Jefferson Line) to the Huntington Station. From the station, take a 10 minute cab ride to the Museum. There is a taxi station located at the train station, and taxis are normally available throughout the day.
- OR, take the LIRR to the Cold Spring Harbor Station and call for a taxi (they may not be waiting for you otherwise) for a 5-minute car ride to the Museum. Local cabs: Orange & White (631) 271-3600; Crown Taxi of Huntington: (631) 427-1166; Oyster Bay Taxi in Syosset: (516) 931-2929.
- The HART (Huntington Area Rapid Transit) #H10 Bus stops directly in front of the Museum throughout the day, and travels to the LIRR Huntington Station. Click here for HART Bus Schedule and Map.
- Suffolk County Transit buses also stop nearby. Take the #S1 North Bus Bus to the intersection Route 110 and 25A and transfer to the HART H#10 bus, which will let you off directly in from of The Whaling Museum. (Ask for a transfer when boarding first bus). Click here for Suffolk County Transit Schedules.
Visit Cold Spring Harbor Village!
Spend a day in our charming, quaint seaside village which dates back to the 1600s. Check our calendar for a walking tour and find out about interesting local history. More info: http://www.coldspringharborvillage.org/
Mother's Day Yoga by the Sea Program
Museum Photos & Program Content © 2014 Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum. All Rights Reserved.