The Museum is currently seeking an energetic and engaging Admissions Associate
Our Admission Associates are the friendly faces who welcome visitors of all ages from all over Long Island (and beyond!). They run the admissions desk of our gallery, open and close the museum, and make sure our museum is a fun, family-friendly, and safe place to visit. Schedule/hours are flexible and varies week to week: from June-August, daily shifts are 11 am-5 pm during weekdays and weekends. During Fall-Spring, occasional weekends are available, with additional working opportunities during school breaks and legal holidays.
- Responsible college students & retirees welcome.
- Demonstrated skill in working positively and professionally with others, especially customers: ability to exercise tact with patrons in person and on the telephone.
- Friendly, warm, and pleasant personality; love for kids appreciated
- Trustworthy character with handling money and responsible for protecting the museum’s collection
- Reliable and punctual, all the time – no exceptions!
- Able to work independently, troubleshoot when needed, and take charge of a situation when needed to make the museum a friendly place to visit.
- Knowledge of Long Island’s maritime history/whale biology a plus, (or willingness to learn)
1. Open and close the museum galleries independently
2. Maintain attentiveness to the museum’s exhibits and spaces to ensure safety for visitors, collections, and property
3. Warmly greet guests with a smile, handle admission, and record attendance
4. Offer scavenger hunt for kids
5. Assist visitors with gift shop purchases or inquiries; keep gift shop stocked
6. Answer general phone calls about museum; record any messages; answer visitors’ questions to the best of your knowledge
7. Report any problems with exhibits to staff
8. Ensure museum is presentable, occasional light tidying of museum (keeping pencils sharpened, making sure restrooms are stocked)
9. Occasional assistance with setting up / taking down for our education programs and events (ex., putting out tables, preparing craft materials on low-visitation days)
10. Record financial transactions at end of day
11. Clean, neat, and professional appearance
12. Other duties as assigned
Interested applicants should send:
1) Cover letter detailing specific interest
2) Resume with references
3) General Scheduling Availability for the summer + coming year
Preference is given to candidates available year-round
Email ASAP to Liz Fusco, Education Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
EMAIL ONLY; No Phone Calls Please.